Hollingsworth F. Gregory
Brigadier General, United States Air Force
of the United States Air Force
BRIGADIER GENERAL HOLLINGSWORTH F. GREGORY
Hollingsworth Franklin Gregory was born in Rockwell, Texas, in 1906. He graduated from high school at Shelby, Missississpi, in 1923 and received his bachelor of arts degree from Mississippi College, Clinton, Mississippi, in 1926. The following two years he was principal of a high school at Kossuth, Mississippi.
Enlisting as a flying cadet in June 1928, General Gregory entered Primary Flying School at Brooks Field, Texas, graduated from Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas, June 22, 1929, and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Air Reserve. He received his commission as a Second Lieutenant of Air Corps, Regular Army, September 4, 1929. The following decade he served at various installations in the United States and graduated from the Air Corps Technical School, Chanute Field, Illinous, in June 1932.
Assigned to the Materiel Command at Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio, in August 1938, General Gregory had research and development duties until January 1942, when he was named chief of the Aircraft Project Section there. In January 1945 he became assistant chief of staff for Intelligence of the Seventh Air Force on Saipan and Okinawa, becoming assistant chief of staff for Materiel, Seventh Air Force at Hickam Field, Hawaii, a year later, and assistant chief of staff for Operations there in June 1946. Entering the Armed Forces Staff College at Norfolk, Virginia, in January 1947, he graduated the following June.
Moving to Washington, D.C., General Gregory was chief of the Reconnaissance and Photographic Branch, Directorate of Requirements, in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations. The following February he joined the Air Force Committee on the Aeronautical Research and Development Board. Entering the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in August 1949, he graduated the following June and became senior military member, Office of the Chief Scientific Adviser, Arnold Engineering Development Center, Washington, D.C. He entered the Strategic Intelligence School in September 1951, graduated that December; studied the French language until June 1952, and the following month became air attach, Paris, France.
Joining the Air Research and Development Command at Baltimore, Maryland, in February 1956, General Gregory was commander, Air Force Office of Scientific Research.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Air Medal, French Legion of Honor and the Thurman H. Bane award, 1955.
Posted: 31 October 2007
Photo By M. R. Patterson, October 2007