The Old Amphitheater, Arlington National Cemetery
The Old Amphitheater, one of the most beautiful buildings on the grounds, was dedicated in 1874. For many years, it was the home to the annual Memorial Day observances as well as to other patriotic meetings. Mostly unused now, it was replace by the Memorial Amphitheater, which is larger and which can seat more guests and participants. The Old Amphitheater is located to the rear of the Custis-Lee Mansion and near the site of the Memorial to the Civil War Unknowns.
All photos courtesy of the Library of Congress
Posted: 29 May 2001
Webmaster: Michael Robert Patterson