Max W. Goodman
Colonel, United States Army
WAUKEGAN, ILLINOIS — A military burial in Arlington National Cemetery is planned for Max Goodman, who began working in his parents' store when he was nine years old and went on to own Goodman Furniture.
A decorated World War II veteran, Goodman died December 15, 2003, in Miami Beach, Florida, of Alzheimer's disease. He was 90.
Goodman was born in Waukegan in 1913, the son of Russian immigrants, who opened a department store in 1910 at 10th Street and McAlister Avenue on Waukegan's South Side. He graduated in 1931 from Waukegan Township High School and in 1935 from the University of Illinois where he was a member of the ROTC and was commissioned in the Army Reserves.
A month before Pearl Harbor, Goodman asked to be activated in the regular Army. During World War II he served in the Quartermaster Corps in England, France and Germany. He spent five years with General George Patton's Third Army, rising to the rank of Colonel and was awarded several medals and commendations.
Goodman remained active in the Reserves, retiring in 1965. In 1994, he was invited by Queen Elizabeth II to observe the 50th anniversary of D-Day and in 1996 he was instrumental in forming the Key Biscayne, Florida, American Legion Post.
Following the war, he returned to Waukegan to help his father, Eisie, run the family store. In 1963, his father died and Goodman took over the store's operation.
In 1970, he opened a new facility on Belvidere Road, just west of Belvidere Mall. A year later, the 10th Street store was closed. In 1976, he retired to Key Biscayne.
While in Waukegan, Goodman was a director of the old Waukegan-North Chicago Chamber of Commerce, involved in the Waukegan Community Players and Temple Am Echod.
Survivors include his widow, Peggy; two sons, Dr. Richard Goodman and Cory Goodman; a daughter, A.J. Goodman; and a sister, Mildred Wool.
A memborial service was held December 21 in