Charles H. Anderson
Major General, United States Air Force
of the United States Air Force
MAJOR GENERAL CHARLES H. ANDERSON
From flying air mail and testing aircraft, to commanding a major Air Training Command installation which provides trained Air Force technicians to units throughout the world, these are but a few of the many assignments held by the present commander of Lowry Air Force Base -- Major General Charles H. Anderson.
Born in Cape Giradeau, Missouri, in 1907, General Anderson, at a very early age, looked to the skies. Upon graduation from the U.S. Military Academy, where he was commissioned a second lieutenant, General Anderson attended and graduated from Advanced Flying School in October 1933.
Following a four-year assignment with the First
Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Michigan, an overseas tour of duty was
in the offing. Arriving at Clark Field in the Philippine Islands, he was
immediately assigned as the operations officer. During the two
Returning to the United States in 1940, General
Anderson reported to Barksdale Field, La., where he assisted in organizing
an advanced single engine flying school, which was later moved to Craig
Field, Alabama. Here he was appointed director of training
In 1944, General Anderson was once again reassigned overseas, this time to the China-Burma-India Theatre, where he acted as chief of staff of an Air Task Force in support of the British 14th Army.
In January 1946, he was appointed to the staff
and faculty of the Air Command and Staff School at Maxwell Air Force Base,
Alabama, and from August 1947 to August 1949, performed similar duties
at the same location with the Air War College. In August
General Anderson reported for duty at Air Force Headquarters in June 1950 to serve in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel. In August 1951 he was transferred to the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower and Personnel), where he served as director of Military Personnel Policy Division until August 1953 when he was named director of manpower requirements in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower and Personnel).
A third overseas tour of duty was forecasted for General Anderson, when in August of 1955, he became director of operations in the Office of the Air Deputy, Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers in Europe.
Returned to Washington three years later, General Anderson was assigned as assistant for atomic energy with the deputy chief of staff operations, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, where he remained until his assignment to Lowry, Aug. 15, 1960, as commander of Lowry Technical Training Center.
General Anderson is rated a command pilot.
His decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit
with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Air
Medal with oak leaf cluster, and the Philippine Distinguished
Genreal Anderson was buried with full military honors in Section 34, Arlington National Cemetery.
Photo Courtesy of Russell C. Jacobs, August 2006
Posted: 29 July 2001 Updated: 10 April 2004 Updated: 18 August 2006