Alexander Pearson, Jr.
First Lieutenant, United States Army
Today, it houses the headquarters of the 88th Air Base Wing.
The building was memorialized on August 28, 1981 in honor of Brigadier General Joseph T. Morris, the base commander from July 1945 to March 1952 and the air base wing's first commander. A commemorative plaque is located adjacent to the main entrance. Building 87, the original Patterson Field Officers' Club and later the Post Exchange, once stood beside Building 10 where the flagpole stands today. The Officers' Club moved to its current location (Building 800) in 1934, and Building 87 remained the Post Exchange until the wooden structure was demolished in the 1950's.
Pearson Road, which runs in front of Building
10, was named for Lt Alexander Pearson, Jr., who was killed in a Curtiss
R-8 plane crash on September 2, 1924 while practicing for the 1924 International
Air Races which were held on the base flying field.
The field was named in honor of Lieutenant Alexander Pearson, Jr., who had been an air service instructor, a test pilot and participant and winner of a number of speed races, and who had made the first flight through the Grand Canyon on a survey for the Department of the Interior.
Pearson had attended high school in Vancouver and had graduated from the University of Oregon. His parents' home was located in Portland. In 1924 Pearson lost his life in an air crash when practicing for a race at Wilbur Wright Field in Ohio.
The dedication ceremonies and accompanying
festivities, organized by Lieutenant Kelly, were held on September 16,
1925. The dedication and air circus drew "a monster crowd" to Vancouver
Barracks; most businesses in the town shut down early to to allow their
employees to attend. The air circus brought over sixty fliers from around
the country to Vancouver, who flew in mob formation over Portland and Vancouver
prior to the dedication ceremonies, and after participated in a number
of speed races and flying stunts.
PEARSON, ALEXANDER JR
Posted: 14 October 2004
Photo By M. R. Patterson, 3 December 2004